Benefits of Internet - Save Money
Having Internet access at home can help you save money.
A typical family in the U.S. could save more than $7,200 per year by using the Internet for many basic needs, according to a study by the Internet Innovation Alliance.
Here is how you can save, too.
- PAYING BILLS. Pay your bills online and save on the cost of stamps each month. Site examples: www.mycheckfree.com; www.chase.com; www.bankofamerica.com
- NEWSPAPERS. Read newspaper content for free online at your favorite newspaper’s website. Site examples: www.sfgate.com; www.nytimes.com; www.chicagotribune.com
- CLOTHING. Buy clothes online to save both time and money. Some online stores offer deep discounts because they do not pay for a fancy storefront. Site examples: www.overstock.com; www.ideeli.com
- ENTERTAINMENT. Use the Internet to find deals and coupons for restaurants, concerts, museums, and events. Site examples: www.groupon.com; www.livingsocial.com; www.bargainseatsonline.com
- GASOLINE. Save on your gas bill by not driving to stores when you buy online! Use the Internet to find the cheapest gas prices in your neighborhood. Site example: www.gasbuddy.com
- NON PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. Purchase over-the-counter pain relievers, cold remedies, and natural remedies on the Internet for a lower price than at your local drug store. Site examples: www.drugstore.com; www.amazon.com
- FOOD. Use the Internet to find coupons for your favorite products and deals at your favorite stores. Site examples: www.couponmom.com; www.peapod.com
- TRAVEL. Book hotel, plane, and other travel arrangements online to for big cost savings. Some travel websites help you compare deals from a wide variety of airlines and hotels. Site examples: www.kayak.com; www.priceline.com; www.expedia.com
- AUTO. Conduct online research before buying a car to help you get the best deal. Kelly Blue Book information and prices from different dealers can give you the information you need to barter. Site example: www.kbb.com
- HOUSING. Search online for an apartment to find a greater pool of rentals, compare rents, and find the cheapest option. Site examples: www.padmapper.com; www.apartments.com; www.craigslist.org